Safety Adviser for the Libya INGO Forum – Libya, Tunis based . Safety Adviser for the Libya INGO Forum
Posted 15 Sep 2020
Closing date 23 Sep 2020
Libya, Tunis based
Norwegian Refugee Council
The Libya INGO Forum (INGOF) is an independent network of 16 international non-governmental organizations (INGOs) implementing humanitarian programs to respond to the needs of the most vulnerable population living in Libya. The INGOF provides a platform to facilitate the work of its members and support them to efficiently and effectively address key issues of common interest.
Duties and responsibilities
With the recruitment of a Safety advisor, the LIF seeks to support its members by improving the safety and security of humanitarian operations in Libya. This position encompasses significant challenges due to the variety of the INGO forum members, in term of operational volume, resources, capacity and mandates. Access constraints, and a response that is structurally remotely managed and coordinated from Tunis are also adding more complexity to INGO coordination, notably in term of safety and security. A senior humanitarian professional with experience in developing processes (such as security information sharing alerts, analysis, and reporting processes) and systems from scratch to serve the INGOs community in complex environments would be an ideal profile for the position.
The main responsibilities of the LIF Safety advisor are:
• Facilitate and lead regular INGO security meetings, briefings, and workshops as often as necessary and ensure information is disseminated to relevant stakeholders. Meetings should be used to present trends, facilitate discussions among members and foster collective initiatives.
• Establish and maintain an active information network, which includes I/NGOs, local counterparts, the UN, and other key actors to obtain credible and relevant safety information. Specifically, administrate and lead discussions on messaging platforms (e.g. WhatsApp), adapting those platforms to the needs (e.g. geographic focus, analysis vs. triangulation of immediate information impacting humanitarian operations, etc.).
• Provide INGOs with timely and credible security information and in-depth, nuanced contextual analysis through daily alerts, incident reports, and weekly analytical reports.
• Assist NGOs in developing their own security management capacities by reviewing policy documents, conducting site-security surveys, and assisting in crisis evacuation plans.
• Take a proactive approach to moving around areas of Libya in coordination with management and networking among LIF partners.
• Effectively represent, promote, and protect humanitarian principles of independence, impartiality, and neutrality.
• Represent interest of the Libya INGO forums in external security related fora, in particular with OCHA and UNDSS through the Saving Lives Together Framework.
1. Master’s degree in relevant field.
2. Fluency in English, written and verbal. Working knowledge of Arabic is welcome.
3. Excellent computer literacy is required. Knowledge of QGIS or other mapping software is welcome.
Context related skills, knowledge, and experience (shall be adapted to the specific position):
1. Experience or knowledge of Libya context is welcome.
2. At least 5 years working experience in the humanitarian field: In a safety and security management role (including the security management role embedded in a country director or field manager position); Managing humanitarian operations in the field; In conflict-affected and volatile environments
3. Experience within an operational INGO is required
4. Experience with UN, DPKO missions, diplomatic community, donors, national governments, and others are welcome.
5. Advanced knowledge in humanitarian principles, International humanitarian law and human rights law, and conflict sensitivity is required.
6. Strong analytical skills and demonstrated ability in writing briefing papers, security reports and other information products.
7. Experience or knowledge of Libya context is welcome.
• Ability to work autonomously
• Strategic thinking and strong leadership to drive change
• Communicating with impact and respect
• Ability to facilitate constructive conversations, engage key stakeholders, empower and build trust
• Planning and delivering results
We can offer
This position represents the INGO Forum and is administratively hosted by NRC
Duty Station: Tunis, Tunisia
Duration: 6 months
Travel: Significant travel to Libya
How to apply Apply Here
Organization Norwegian Refugee Council
Career Category Program/Project Management
Years of experience 5-9 years
• Disaster M
Safety Adviser for the Libya INGO Forum – Libya, Tunis based .
Safety Adviser for the Libya INGO Forum
لتقدم للوظيفة أنتهت صلاحية الاعلان