Organization DRC Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Area Manager.
Posted 8 Sep 2020
Closing date 20 Sep 2020
About the job
The Area Manager leads all activities in Tripolitania, Libya and creates results which impacts the area. The Area Manager oversees the implementation of policies or activities of short-term and operational nature within the area of operation (Tripolitania) while enabling a productive and accountable relationship with beneficiaries, communities’ leaders/representatives, relevant authorities, NGOs, and UN Agencies. This role has an area focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the area. The role contributes to the development of area strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to base operations.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
• Line manage area support and programme staff ensuring inter-department co-ordination.
• Closely coordinate with the senior management team (SMT) ensuring regular information flows.
• People management of direct reports (including development, people planning and performance).
• Ensure that Project Cycle Management is provided and all Programme Management Tools (including HR plans, Workplans, Procurement Plans, Risk Mapping, Monitoring Plans and Lessons Learned) are kept up to date.
• With team leaders manage programme activities and budget lines; ensuring effective and efficient use of resources including financial, human and all assets.
• Ensure overall provision of and adherence to DRC policies, procedures, guidelines, systems and standard practices.
• Provide leadership in overseeing logistical/procurement, Human Resources/administration and office services activities and ensure timely/efficient delivery
Representation, coordination, and reporting
• Primary DRC representative in the area of operation and attend all relevant fora/meetings in order to strengthen DRC’s position
• Foster relationships with Government authorities and other relevant stakeholders in the area of operation
• Maintain close working relationships with donors, national and international organizations and local counterparts
• Comply with internal reporting requirements, contribute to, and provide quality assurance of external reports from area of operation
• Lead the process of adapting DRC national strategy to the local context and circumstances
• Provide regular analysis on the context and humanitarian situation in the area for the development of project proposals and safety assessments in cooperation with the Heads of Programme (DRC and DDG)
• Supports and facilitated the setup of humanitarian mine action activities in Tripoli
• Ensure a safe and secure environment for DRC staff, beneficiaries and assets by ensuring the local security procedures are up to date and SOPs are being followed in line with the SMP and DRC policy and in close collaboration with the Safety Advisor.
• The Area Manager, in close collaboration with the National and International Safety Coordinators, is responsible for the security decision making in the Area of operation.
As Manager the post-holder is responsible for the following:
• Accountable for achieving DRC’s strategic goals and objectives within the area of responsibility
• Accountable for making significant decisions on what the unit does: its purpose, functions and role, and for making commitments and decisions that require the expenditure of significant unit resources
• Accountable for people management of direct reports. This includes hiring & firing, objective setting, probation, performance appraisal, development of staff, managing performance, including poor performance, etc.
• Accountable for making sound decisions based on DRC policies, MOPs, standards, and the advice of technical experts in DRC
To be successful in this role we expect the following:
• Minimum 7-10 years’ experience in relevant field overseeing humanitarian and development multi-sector, multi-donor programmes in complex and volatile environments
• At least 5 years’ experience in people management
• Strong leadership skills and a competence in people management
• Practical and extensive financial, Human Resources and administration management
• Substantial work experience in the areas of emergency and Protection, especially with displaced/refugee/migrant communities can substitute education qualification.
• External stakeholder management (especially with local authorities)
• Experience with relevant donor guidelines
• Proven excellent communication and report writing skills
• Full professional proficiency in English
• A Master’s degree in political science, international development, economics, etc.
• Fluent English, Arabic an advantage
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment.
Contract length: 12 months
Level: E – Management
Designation of Duty Station: Tripoli – Unaccompanied
Start date: 01 November 2020
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies. For questions regarding the vacancy please contact Liam Kelly, email@example.com.
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
• Professionalism, impact & expertise
• Humanitarian approach & the work we do
• Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
• Culture, values & strong leadership
• Fair compensation & continuous development
Read more here about what our employees say about working in DRC.
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process. Visit drc.ngo to read more about what we do to secure robust safeguarding mechanisms.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.
How to apply
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English on our website. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 20 September 2020
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.
Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Area Manager.
لتقدم للوظيفة أنتهت صلاحية الاعلان