IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Congo, Cabo Verde, Czech Republic, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Guyana, Iceland, Comoros, Lesotho, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
3. External female candidates.
Under the overall guidance of the Regional Director for Middle East and North Africa (MENA), and the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in IOM Libya, and in close coordination with relevant departments in Headquarters (HQs), the successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing, coordinating and managing the daily implementation of the Mission's plans and policies, and for supervising and advising Programme Managers in the Mission in order to ensure that the Mission's mandate and objectives are met.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Support the CoM to develop, clarify and contribute to IOM's overall mandate and strategy through project development and implementation in Libya, with appropriate consultation with the Regional Office (RO), Headquarters, Member State and other relevant actors.
2. Monitor programmes and services and guide Project Managers in implementation.
3. Support the CoM in developing and promoting high-level liaison with government counterparts and the donors, as well as diplomatic missions, international organizations, and
Page 1 / 4
NGOs to coordinate and promote new activities, and facilitate the implementation of ongoing activities, and raise funds for new projects/programmes.
4. Establish effective multi-disciplinary teams and provide supervision, guidance and direction to all project staff.
5. In coordination with the CoM, lead the establishment of Steering Committees (depending on project) usually comprised of representatives of Libyan Ministries/Departments and the Donor Representatives. Provide strategic and operational input together with the CoM and other humanitarian stakeholders.
6. Establish and maintain strong working relationships with relevant government authorities and other institutions in the overall direction and implementation of the projects.
7. Coordinate Labour Migration and Counter Trafficking thematic areas/units, including capacity building, and general support to project managers. Build consensus among mission’s programme areas and actively facilitate cooperation, synergy and harmonization among them.
8. Take the lead on development of research initiatives to better instil an evidence-based culture within overall programme.
9. Ensure compliance with IOM and donor regulations and obligations as indicated in the funding agreements, project documents, work plans and budgets.
10. Support the CoM to coordinate all the administrative, personnel and financial aspects of the projects in close coordination with the Libya Resource Management Unit. Ensure that the operations follow established administrative, financial and procurement policies of the Organization.
11. Review the overall direction and strategy of the programme for effectiveness on a regular basis, and build linkages with other IOM programmes in the region and services in Headquarters.
12. Assist the CoM in carrying out initiatives to promote IOM’s image and to increase the level of IOM activities in the country. Represent the mission and give presentations related to programmatic areas of the mission and organization at national and international conferences and meetings as needed by both the projects and the mission.
13. Formulate project ideas with the Chief of Mission, Project Managers, Head of Sub-Offices and donors and develop proposals based on identified needs in coordination with relevant Regional Thematic Specialists as appropriate.
14. Ensure regular information/reports (including narrative and financial) are compiled for HQs, Donor(s), key stakeholders and press officers (as appropriate).
15. Supervise in conformity with IOM standards the planning and implementation of initiatives aimed at promoting IOM and donor visibility.
16. Contribute to building the capacities of IOM staff in the thematic areas through on-the-job mentoring.
17. Assist the CoM in formulating country strategies, policies and approaches across the mission’s operational portfolio and identify and develop new programmes to address emerging needs.
18. Formally deputize for the Chief of Mission on an ongoing basis and exercise mission, staff and financial management responsibility.
19. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Page 2 / 4
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political Science, Social Sciences, Social Work, International Relations, Management or a related field from an accredited academic institution with ten years of relevant professional experience; or • University degree in the above fields with twelve years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience at International level managing programmes with migration, IDPs, community stabilization, direct assistance, humanitarian return, managing offices and/or multi-cultural team; • Experience in an International level of direct donor liaison; with regional experience in the direct care of refugees and/or care of people while in immigration administrative detention; operational or field experience in migration related issues; • Extensive experience in public relations, as well as in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities and institutional institutions; • Proven liaison and negotiation skills; • Excellent written and oral communications skills; • Sound knowledge of programme development, management, capacity building methodologies and operational strategies; • Familiarity with administration and financial matters; • Strong strategic and creative thinking; • Effective resource management skills; • Personnel commitment, efficiency, flexibility, drives for results, and open management style; Ability to supervise and direct staff; • Demonstrated ability in leading multicultural teams and in mentoring and coaching individuals.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Arabic is an advantage.
Appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms; • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders; • Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others; • Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience; • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services; • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders; • Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others; • Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility; • Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter; • Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, Page 3 / 4
perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation; • Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 13 June 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to: http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 31.05.2018 to 13.06.2018
Requisition: VN 2018/133 (P) - Deputy Chief of Mission (P5) - Tripoli, Libya (55505986) Released Posting: Posting NC55505999 (55505999) Released
لتقدم للوظيفة أنتهت صلاحية الاعلان