Overview of position
The Stabilization Facility for Libya (SFL) is an immediate stabilization initiative that provides quick rehabilitation of critical infrastructure, and enhances the engagement between the central government and municipalities. The Stabilization Facility will repair light infrastructure within the conflict affected areas to reverse the physical disruption caused by the conflict, and enable the reopening of key services at the municipal level. It may also support quick recovery of businesses that are critical to the survival of whole communities through rehabilitation and provision of equipment. Through these activities it will also aim to boost the capacity of municipalities.
Our client will undertake rehabilitation of light infrastructure and critical businesses destroyed by conflict in East, West and South Libya.
The project will support the following types of infrastructure rehabilitation:
key public infrastructure including clinics, hospitals, schools and police stations and government buildings;
rehabilitation of waste water treatment facilities, and water networks;
rehabilitation of power stations, electricity networks, power grids and other destroyed electricity infrastructure;
Rehabilitation of roads and bridges;
Rehabilitation of small businesses that are critical to the community (e.g. bakeries)
will also require provision of equipment that will complement the works, including:
Provision of equipment including alternative electricity sources.
Provision of equipment to small businesses being rehabilitated.
On 2 July 2018, the Government of Libya and international donors demanded the Stabilization Facility to increase the volume and quality of its delivery, as well as speed up all interventions. To implement this mandate, it has agreed to provide surge support to the Facility through increased staffing within the Country Office dedicated to the SFL, and to streamline all recruitment, programming and procurement actions to mobilize stabilization operations on the ground. Moreover, committed to the SFL Board that it stands ready to implement a wide range of related arrangements with urgency, availing itself wherever possible of relevant fast track procedures and additional authority provided specially to enable COs operating in complex crises environment to ensure rapid implementation while preserving respective programme quality and operational requirement standards.
With the mind to implement with speed and quality, the Stabilization Facility for Libya has created the concept of a Core Engineering Team: this team will be mobile and able to be deployed to SFL locations across the country to ensure quality control / quality assurance of implementation in all SFL locations.
Therefore, the SFL project has identified 4 specific engineering posts that will become part of the Core Engineering team due to their strong performance working with the SFL.
This includes 1) Mechanical Engineer / Electrical Engineering; 2) Structural Engineering; 3) Civil Engineering with Architectural experience; and 4) Civil Engineering.
The Civil Engineer, as member of the Core Mobile Engineering Team, will be based in Tripoli and support SFL rehabilitations and equipment procurement in all SFL locations as needed to:
i) Provide specialized quality assurance support in the preparation of rapid needs assessments, assessing damage of key infrastructure in SFL locations and support Field Engineers in the preparation of Bills of Quantity, Scope of Work and Certificate of Completion and other documentation required in each location;
ii) Monitor and provide quality control of all the rehabilitation works and provision of equipment at the municipality level
As part of the needs assessment team, assess damage and estimate the cost of rehabilitation of the damaged infrastructure;
- Develop scope of works, technical specifications, bill of quantities (BOQ), and other bidding documents for UNDP procurement;
- Respond to any questions from procurement unit on the scope of works, technical specifications and BOQs as well as on the submitted bids
- Supervise the rehabilitation works and provide regular bi-monthly reports to the Project Manager on the progress of works;
- Check and verify that all equipment provided meets the agreed standards and specifications;
- Monitor and provide quality control of all the rehabilitation works and provision of equipment at the municipality level.
- Immediately report any variation or problem arising in the rehabilitation works or provision of equipment to the Project Manager.
- Review and verify the payment request submitted by the contractors and provide report to the Project Manager;
- Monitor day-to-day progress of project activities and promptly report any abnormality or risks to the respective UNDP project manager.
- Follow up and oversee of rehabilitation civil, electrical and mechanical works at site preparation and execution of the Works against the provided approved sketch and bill of quantities within the set time frame;
Undertake construction Inspection including inspection of materials, equipment’s to be installed.
- Check materials received at construction/renovation sites against damages, missing parts and appropriate ratings; ensuring that the materials/equipment provided by the Contractor meets UNDP requirement and standards. Ensure materials/equipment provided by the Contractor meets accepted requirement and standards.
- Checks and certify substantial construction progress/ completion and the corresponding payments. Advice Project Manager to withhold payment for any work which has been rejected or any work which is not in compliance with the contract documents.
- Assist as expert witness in litigation arising from the development or construction of the project and in bearings before various approving and regulatory agencies.
- Ensure that the Contractor maintain safety on Site and clean the site after the completion of the rehabilitation work.
- Issue certificates of Substantial Completion in coordination with the Project Manager and the contractor
- Ensure and monitor the proper operation of the finalized projects
Reporting to the project manager
▪ Bachelor Degree in Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Architecture, or related field.
▪ Minimum 7 years of construction related experience with 3-5 years of experience in monitoring of construction works;
▪ Minimum 3 years of experience in project procurement and supply chain process/procedures;
▪ Experience in design, preparation of BoQ, technical specifications and prequalification processes;
▪ Construction supervision experience of buildings, utility services, schools, power plants, water treatment systems etc.
▪ Experience in handling of tender documents for turnkey contracts, including technical inputs/specifications for the procurement of services using the conditions of international lending/funding agencies;
▪ Proven ability to work with multi-disciplinary teams and liaison with authorities;
▪ Experience in supervising rehabilitation works; and,
▪ Prior SFL experience is highly desirable.
لتقدم للوظيفة أنتهت صلاحية الاعلان